Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Always be Prepared

by Duane Perry (Rocky Mountain Military Regional Leader)

I had a traumatic experience at the gym on base the other day - an experience of not being prepared.


I had finished exercising and was walking back to the locker room when I saw a young lady collapse in the hallway. I ran and knelt beside her. Her breathing was labored and her pulse was faint. There was another lady in the hallway and I urged her to go for help. As I waited, this young girl stopped breathing and I could no longer feel a pulse!


I frantically tried to remember how to do CPR. I certainly was not prepared! It had been 30 years since I had done CPR when I was in the Navy working in an ICU unit. I pleaded with God to help me remember. I was rusty, unskilled, and unsure but I decided that doing something was better than doing nothing! Just as I started, others came - people who were trained, skilled and confident.


Relieved, I stepped aside. They were much better prepared to help. After about 20 minutes, she started responding and was taken by ambulance to a local hospital. Unfortunately, she passed away a few hours later. It was a sad day.

The death of this young lady reminded me again of the lost souls all around me who are perishing. Am I prepared to give an answer? How can I be an ambassador for the kingdom of God, available to be used by God to share His good news with lost people? Several questions came to mind:


Do I stay current in my skills to share the gospel with others?

Do I look for and pray for opportunities to be at the right place at the right time... and am I nurturing relationships with unbelievers to help create those opportunities?

Am I willing to overcome obstacles such as fear, sharing imperfectly, and feeling inadequate in order to nurture lost souls?

No comments:

Post a Comment