Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The place of gratitude

David and Solomon are a study in contrast. Both had a heart for God - at least at the beginning - and sought him earnestly. David faltered, but upon catching himself, he recovered well. Solomon, on the other hand, faltered, but never returned to his former devotion to God. What was the difference?

David's prayer in 2 Samuel 7 may reveal a key to their differing outcomes. David had a deep heart of gratitude. He recalled his humble beginnings. He was aware of his limitations, and yet God chose him. He responds in heartfelt thanks.

Meanwhile, Solomon was the youngest of David's recorded sons. He was born at the half-way mark of David's reign, during the days of David's faltering. Solomon was raised in the palace, not on the sheep field. Was Solomon spoiled? There is little evidence one way or the other, but based on what we know of David's parenting, Solomon may have been a "royal brat."

Taken together, David's thankfulness undergirded his relationship with God. In contrast, Solomon, seemingly lacking in gratitude, may have considered himself entitled to luxury, success and blessing. He may have very well taken God's hand of blessing for granted. And therefore, minus the gratitude, Solomon made choices that eventually drew his heart away.

In thinking about his, I sense a need to deliberately dwell on all God's blessings in my life. Ps. 103:2 says, "Forget not all his benefits..." Also, I need to conscientiously express thanks to people who are God's instruments of blessing in my life. People like my wife. My children. Friends. Those I minister to and with. My donors.

As you also consider David's heart of gratitude, is there someone you sense God urging you to thank?

Also, I've realized that I've been less than thorough in thanking my donors. So I'm making that a goal this year, to express thanks in multiple ways. Our donors help empower my wife and me, serving as God's hand in our lives. We want to tell them thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment